This pumpkin sundae makes the most of fresh sage combining it with a deep, amber salted caramel sauce for a festive finale to any holiday meal. Whipped cream sweetened with brown sugar and a sprinkling of salted pepitas, or pumpkin seeds, adds a finishing touch that takes store-bought pumpkin ice cream to the next level.
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
For the Sage Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salted, roasted pumpkin seeds
- Extra fresh sage leaves
Prepare the Sage Caramel Sauce:
- In a large sauce pan, heat sugar over medium high heat until it dissolves and turns a light amber color.
- Add sage leaves and continue to cook unitl sugar turns deep amber.
- Add cream and salt and stir until caramel is smooth and thick.
Prepare the Whipped Cream:
- With a hand mixer whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Add brown sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Sundaes:
- Scoop a generous amount of pumpkin ice cream into a bowl.
- Top with several tablespoons of caramel sauce.
- Dollop with whipped cream.
- Garnish with a large fresh sage leaf and a sprinkling of salted pumpkin seeds. Eat!